So in an effort to save some money I have decided to start trying to make a few things myself around here and rely less on the store-bought stuff. One item in particular, pancake mix. We go through about a box a month, or about $60.00 a year, roughly. To make my own batch was $1.76 a batch, or roughly $21.12 a year. (This site has a handy little recipe calculator for figuring that out)
I did some searching until I came across this delicious recipe. Taking the dry ingredients I created a mix to keep in my canister (I taped the “to make” directions to the front of the canister so I wouldn’t lose them!).
Printer Friendly Version: DIY Pancake Mix (with cooking recipe).
- 6 Cups all-purpose flour
- 14 tsp baking powder
4 tsp salt
4 TBS sugar
- Sift all ingredients together and store in airtight container.
To make pancakes:
- 2 cups of the pancake mix.
- 3 TBS melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup milk
- ¼ cups water (original recipe does not call for this but I added it to thin the mix)
- Combine ingredients
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat.
- Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle
- Brown on both sides and serve hot.