Leftover mashed potatoes. They taste great reheated, but I decided to get a little creative with them and see if I could make something different. Fritters are a Southern favorite, and these were just as big a hit. We ate them as a side dish to dinner.
Mashed Potato Corn Fritters
Printer Friendly Version: Mashed Potato Corn Fritters
- Leftover mashed potatoes (About 2 Cups)
- Frozen corn (I used ¼ Cup in this particular batch)
- Handful of corn meal (This is a thickener, if batch seems to watery add a bit more)
- 2 Eggs
- Chopped green onion
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil for frying
- Using a fork (I used the fork to mix the entire recipe), break up the leftover mashed potatoes.
- Mix in corn, green onion, and eggs.
- Mix in corn meal and seasonings.
- Drop forkfuls or spoonfuls of batter into hot oil, press down to spread them out a bit (so they are kind of flat).
- When edges start to become golden, flip the fritter and allow the other side to cook.
- Place fritter on paper towel and season once again with some salt and pepper.